Monday, December 6, 2010

Survival Bracelet

Checking my updates on facebook the other day one of the ads on the right hand side caught my eye. It was for a Survival Bracelet made out of paracord. Paracord has more uses than I can count and I always try to keep some handy in my truck, my hiking pack, fishing gear (you get the idea). Well usually I just ball up a length and try to keep it out of the way, but the bracelet looked like a cool idea to carry it just about any where. I check out the website and they have the bracelets starting at $23.95 which is way too steep for a 10' piece of paracord. I get to looking around  Ebay and Amazon and I see that they have the survival bracelets starting as cheap as a penny with $4.99 shipping and handling.


Not really having the money to be ordering stuff right now I decided to try and make my own. After searching the internet for a few minutes and finding the directions to braid your own it is pretty easy with simple to understand instructions. Theprepared.com has all the steps to do this with pictures to make it simple to do.

Not having any of the cool metal clasps that they use on Survivalstraps.com to make one, I used some old plastic buckles I had cut off of a backpack that I was throwing out. Total time to make the one in the picture was about 20 minutes and that was only because I didnt know how to tie off the end when I was done with the braiding. No real cost to make it since I used buckles I already had and just pulled the 10' of cord off of a roll dad already had (Thanks Dad!!)...

There is a ton of other projects you can braid out of cord like key fobs, belts, rifle slings, can coozies, baskets.. And now you can order paracord in 10 or more different colors to make these things of your own style.

No comments:

Post a Comment